Friday, October 24, 2014

Male vs Female perspectives!

Alright,

So either because I'm sadistic, or just up for a challenge, I decided to start writing a story with a female lead character. If you guys couldn't guess by my name, Matt, I am a male. I realized something... it's hard.

I had gotten a fair few pages written, and one of my friends who enjoys alpha reading for me decided to read what I had so far. She is also, a girl.

"Matt, this doesn't really seem like a girl speaking."

That was the first thing she said to me! I was like, huh? Then it dawned on me. If you and I both described a car, we would give a different description pointing out different aspects. For example, I may first notice the color:

"Damn, that red is really sexy."

While you may be like:

"Damn, that car has a lot of dents in it. The driver must be reckless."

The fact is, people notice and point out different things. This varies by age, occupation, and as you may have figured out -gender. A cop entering a room may first look for threats, potential hidings spots, escape routes. While carpenter Joe Citizen may recognize the style of cabinets, or how abused the wooden carved handrail is.

Girls, and guys, notice different things first. Whether its a person - "damn that girl has a nice rack" may be a guys first reaction. A girl may be like "that's a cute ear ring, or I wonder what perfume she is wearing -I think it's that *insert some name here* from Victoria Secret."

Or if it's a room

"Damn the fridge is too small, you can't fit beer in that!"

"What a lovely stove. Those blinds are sick, I need to get some of those."

However you write it, guys and girls will have different perspectives and notice different things. They will speak differently, treat others differently.

I'll keep it short today! If you have any input feel free to share! Like, comment, share this blog with your writing friends.

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment